What a troubled soul this must be to have asked this question.
I know, I know sometimes all we need is time. We have the urge to learn another language but just don’t have the time. I will try my best to explain as much as I can in this post and help you with tips by which you can learn Mandarin in just 2 months.
Let me proceed.
Best way to learn Mandarin in just two months is breaking your day-time and night-time, with the number of hours and concentration you can provide, plus learning time, then practise time. This looks complex but it is not.
Let me explain how…
You have 8 hours a day, you are working or you are a student. Taking into account that this is not something you have opted to learn in 2 months entirely.
I will discuss this in later part where we assume you have taken up Chinese learning entirely for 2 months.
1. In 8 hours, you can take out merely 1 hour for studying Mandarin. When I say 1 hour, I mean in day-time when you are active, not lethargic.
This should be your exclusive study time.
2. Decided to take that 1 hours separate for the next 60 days, gives us 60 hours of exclusive Chinese time. Now, break this 60 hours of study time into 30-30 hours. 30 hours you will spend learning new things/chapters in Mandarin, 15 hours you will spend in memorising the told stuff, 15 hours in miscellaneous.
3. Breaking out Chapter or let us take HSK course into 30 hours. An average HSK-1 and HSK-2 Lessons take 1 hour to finish. This 1 hour includes from starting to end. That means you have to listen to the audio, read new words, take 15 minutes in learning and revising those words, read conversation (simple as this is HSK 1 and HSK 2). Chapter finished.
4. In books (HSK Standard Course 1 by Beijing Language and Cultural University Press), (HSK Standard Course 2 by Beijing Language and Cultural University Press) HSK 1 has 15 chapters, HSK 2 also has another set of 15 chapters. This makes a total of 30 chapters in HSK 1 and HSK 2. This is awesome.
You are aiming at HSK 2 in 60 days. WOW.
5. At this stage, you are also left with 30 hours of learning and miscellaneous time, out of which 15 hours we had kept for learning and memorising new words and sentences and grammar structures.
We now have to do 2 chapters per hour. That makes us memorise the entire list of 30 chapters in 15 hours time. You can achieve this by loudly speaking the words. Do 30 minutes per chapter. This way you complete 2 chapters in 1 hours.
I suggest you not to do more than 60 minutes initially. As you are using all your energy, you might exhaust very quickly. Strict yourself for 1 hour per day, no matter what.
6. We are done with all our chapter and also with all the learning by the end of 30 + 15 hours. That means in 45 days we have achieved a good amount of Chinese. We are still left with another 15 days at our hands. Now we want to use it wisely.
Do tests now.
(Of course, I should have suggested you buy the tests books before, but it still not late)
This is not an affiliate article. I am not promoting these books neither am I getting paid.
These books have some 10 sets of HSK level exams. I recommend them.
You have to take 2 tests in one hour now. This will take a little extra because one test is for 40 minutes. Try and finish before this time.
You have completed HSK 1 and HSK 2 in 60 days, so to speak in 2 months.
Now let us assume the scenario where you have exclusive time for entire 2 months to learn Mandarin.
Oh, this is too much ample time. You can follow this pattern on the same schedule – 1hr per day or you can do a little more and learn extra about China and its beautiful culture.
This is not rocket science. I always make my students do a maximum of 1 hours per day. There are many clients who have limited time but still have the requirement to learn Chinese.
1. Decide to take up 2 hours per day for Chinese learning instead of 1 hour we took in our earlier method.
That means you will be doing 2 chapters in one sitting. You will be done with 30 chapters of HSK 1 and HSK 2 in 15 days.
2. Take out 1 hour extra on the same day to memorise extra words and sentences with grammar structures.
3. You have a lot of the day still at your hand. Now you pick a movie in the Mandarin language with subtitles. I say movie because this will give you exposure of the actual Chinese spoken in daily life. This part of watching a movie is important not to waste time but to listen to Mandarin.
You can watch half movie in 1 day, half the next.
4. Pick up a YouTube/ Youku Chinese channel where they are teaching the Chinese language.
There are many YouTubers who are teaching basic Chinese to people with native speakers. Pick 45 minutes – 1 hour for this.
5. In 15 days you have done all chapter in HSK 1 and HSK 2, memorised all the new words, roughly 300-350 Chinese words, watched movies or documentaries about China and culture, history, learnt some more words and sentences on YouTube channel.
6. I say, for the next 10 days you repeat what you have done along with 20 tests from the same book. This adds to a total of 25 days of dedicated Mandarin learning.
This is a brilliant way to achieve HSK 2 in such a short amount of time.
Before you do all the above tips and tricks, I suggest you hire a trainer for some basic sounds in Chinese. I say this because sometimes you might end up learning some sounds in a wrong way, this might hamper you valuable hours you have put in to learn Chinese.
Hope you have gained something out of this article. Keep in mind, the Mandarin language is simple, all you need is a motivated mind.
If you need my help in learning or clearing some doubts, feels free t get in touch or write me a comment below.